Wednesday, November 2nd, 2022, 4:25pm
PRESS RELEASE -
On Tuesday, November 1, 2022, Frozen Dead Guy Days released a statement that there would not be a festival in 2023. In their press release, they stated that "Town put the nail in the coffin when their wrap report stated that they'd like to keep the festival in Nederland but refuse to work with the festival's current owners again and stipulated that Guercio Field could no longer be used." On March 29, 2022, the Town sent the FDGD organizers a post event letter outlining the positives and challenges from the 2022 event. The Town started the letter by recognizing the value that special events bring to our community. In addition to serving as a sales tax boost for our municipality and local businesses, we acknowledge that events provide an opportunity for people to come together, celebrate arts, culture and music, and overall, just have a great time. FDGD is truly a one-of-a-kind event that is treasured by locals and visitors, and we were happy that they were able to hold the 2022 event in Nederland following a two-year hiatus due to the pandemic.
Following this year's FDGD, Town received quite a bit of positive feedback from the community, with many noting that it was one of the best events with regards to traffic flow, noise, and positivity among event attendees and FDGD volunteers. The Town echoed many of those positive sentiments. There were, however, significant challenges that resulted from FDGD not adhering to the plans submitted,discussed, and finalized during technical review committee meetings, ultimately creating confusion, disorganization, and safety concerns. These challenge areas included things like communication, mud/snow mitigation plan, parade/event logistics, parking/traffic, safety, security, site plan development, and zero waste compliance.
Town concluded the letter by noting that the following would need to occur for the 2023 event:
- Applications and complete plans must be received by Thursday, June 30, 2022.
- An event organizer must be identified who is not one of the owners. This event organizer must have experience with large events and proof of their experience will be required.
- FDGD will notify the residents and businesses about the event 60 days in advance and will provide copies of site, parking, and traffic plans.
- Increased cost for personnel may be needed to address any areas of inadequacy (example: dispatch, law enforcement).
- Town put off reseeding Guercio for the 2022 FDGD event. With the Great Outdoors Colorado grant needing to be completed by March 2023, Guercio will not be available to use for this event. Therefore, it is recommended FDGD assess the streets only as previously discussed with Town staff.
Town is looking to continue communication to assess ways in which there can be a fun and safe FDGD festival in town while maintaining our Town assets and protecting our valuable resources. We have always appreciated and valued the partnership with the FDGD and look forward to future conversations.
Click here to view the 2022 FDGD Post Event Review: https://nederlandco.civicweb.net/document/41590