Stage 1 Fire Restrictions are in effect in unincorporated areas of western Boulder County & Town of Nederland.
The Fire Ban PROHIBITS:
- Building, maintaining, attending, or using an open fire, campfire, or stove fire on public lands. This includes charcoal barbecues and grills;
- Firework sales, use, and possession, including permissible fireworks;
- Shooting or discharge of firearms for recreational purposes on public lands except for hunting with a valid and current hunting license on public lands;
- Smoking, except in enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or while stopped in an area at least 10 feet in diameter that is barren or cleared of all flammable materials;
- Operating a chainsaw without a USDA or SAE approved spark arrester properly installed and in effective working order, a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher kept with the operator and one round point shovel with an overall length of at least 35 inches readily available for use;
- Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with open flame except in cleared areas of at least 10 feet in diameter and in possession of a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher;
- Using an explosive or doing any kind of blasting work; and
- Parking motorized vehicles in grass or vegetated area that can come in contact with the underside of the vehicle.
The Fire Ban ALLOWS:
- Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire in constructed, permanent fire pits or fire grates within developed recreation sites (listed below), and on private lands along with the use of portable stoves, lanterns using gas, jellied petroleum, pressurized liquid fuel or a fully enclosed (sheepherder type) stove with a 1/4" spark arrester type screen is permitted.
- The following developed and hosted recreation sites allow fire in constructed, permanent fire pits or fire grates, in accordance with USFS policies and closures.
Anyone found in violation of the fire ban may be convicted of a class two petty offense and may be subject to a $500 fine, in addition to any possible civil penalties. Higher fines may be imposed for subsequent offenses.
Stage 1 Fire Restrictions Map